pci express slot went dead?

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by tybert7, Mar 15, 2007.

1. tybert7

tybert7 Geek Trainee

I have had a Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS motherboard for a little over a year now.

Newegg.com - Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

cpu: Opteron 170

and I WAS using an ati x1800 gto for a little over 9 months now in the pci express slot. Everything was fine. Then a couple of weeks ago the screen was black. The video defaulted to the integrated video as if there was no graphics card in the slot....

I assumed the graphics card had gone bad and ordered a 7600 gt (no easy way to test it in another system). Got that yesterday and installed it, same problem.

I looked in the bios and it is STILL et to use the pci express card FIRST, and THEN default to the integrated if there is none. But now I see that Two cards are not recognized in the slot. So there is something broken with the motherboard it seems.

I tried a bios update (a pain by the way, I had to dig up an old floppy drive and cable), that did absolutely nothing.

And now I am at a loss for how to fix it. I wish there were some diagnostic tool to test the pci express slot. I will likely have to buy another board to get my graphics working again, but if there is ANY way to avoid that I want to try it. I am loathe to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything, let alone uprooting my processor, thermal paste and all, and redoing the whole thing. SUCH a hassle.

So I come to you, appeal to your collective knowledge, have you encountered anything like this before? Have any idea how to solve the issue?

the board is still covered, it has a 3 year warranty, but that still leaves considerable downtime, downtime I cannot afford. Everything else workd fine, its just the pci express slot that is busted.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Hi.
    Can you get up to the Windows XP splash screen? if so, just before that press F8, and load into safe mode, does it load into it?

Also, if it is motherboard, when you fix it, sell the 7600GT, the X1800GTO, is allot better than the 7600GT.

If you can load up into bios, the motherboard / graphics card cant be dead.

If you cant access safemode, re-install Windows and see if that fixes the problem.

3. tybert7

tybert7 Geek Trainee

Windows comes up fine, IF I hook the monitor up to the integrated video port. The problem is that the Board is supposed to check to see wether or not there is a pciexpress card installed first, and use that first (and Yes I made certain that that was the default setting in the bios), if none is detected, THEN it defaults to the integrated....

Problem is that it defaults with good working cards in there. Incidentally, every 50th restart or so it DOES pick up the pciE card, and I have to unhook the monitor and attack it to the now funtioning graphics card, with all the power I paid for. I did a work around to put the issue at bay until I could come up with a more permament solution, When it was working and picked up my video card, I kept the computer on, for about a week now. The moment I restarted it (I had to) as usual it does NOT default to the video card, it defaults back to the integrated as if nothing is there.

The board is still covered by the manufacturer, I just do not want to have any down time with my computer. Incredible hassle. If I get a new board that eliminates the downtime, but I will basically be making fixing this board useless. There is no winning here. I think I will just have to cut my losses.